Thursday, March 28, 2013

Magic Bars

I have a serious sweet tooth every now and then and this time around I decided on making magic bars! I got the recipe from my friend Paige awhile ago and I've been dying to have a go at it. The end result was this ooey gooey mouth watering morsel, I can't stop eating them! Next time I make them I will have to give the majority away to a friend because I will eat them all in one sitting. I'll just get right to giving you the recipe so you can enjoy the deliciousness as well! 

Items needed
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter melted
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cup coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups crushed Ritz cracker
1 medium size bowl
8X8 baking pan



I've seen recipes that use graham crackers, but I like the salty sweet that the Ritz add to the recipe.
The first thing you want to do is preheat your oven to 350. Next you want to melt the butter, I use one of my small glasses that is the perfect size for this!


I put it in the microwave for about 40 seconds and then I stir it to make sure everything is melted then I set it aside and let it sit for a few minutes. Next I take the crackers and I crush them up in my Ninja Chop.
(This little device is probably one of Brian's favorite wedding gifts.) 
You can use your hands if you don't have something similar, don't let this one thing stop you from making these.


Once you have your crackers crushed put them in a medium sized bowl and add the melted butter and mix it until everything is combined. It shouldn't be too firm, this forms your crust.


Now add the crust mixture to your pan. I used an 8X8 square baking pan and I didn't grease it, but you can if you want to prevent some sticking that may occur.


I spread the crust mixture with my rubber spatula and once I have it where I want it I push it down with my fingers so that it is mostly level. (I say mostly because sometimes I don't always get it perfect)

Now pour about 1/4 of the sweetened condensed milk onto the crust and spread it so that everything is covered. I try not to spread it all the way to the sides because as I said before I don't pre-grease and I don't want it to stick to the sides. Sometimes it gets on the sides, but it's not the end of the world.


Next, combine the chocolate chips and coconut in a bowl (I use the same bowl for everything so don't feel like you need a new bowl, less dishes right?) Then I take handfuls and distribute the mix all over so that everything is covered!


Lastly pour the remainder of the condensed milk all over the top. What I do after the can is empty is take my spatula and spread the milk so that everything is covered.


Now stick these bad boys in your preheated oven and set your timer for 25 minutes!
They should be golden brown on top when finished. 


Let them cool in the pan, when cool cut them into squares and enjoy :) 

One thing that I have noticed about these bars is that they are gooey when you first cut into them so I let mine sit for a few hours covered in the fridge, by then they firmed up. It might be best to make these first thing in the morning and let them sit for the day so that they'll be ready for dessert!

1 comment: